Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Front Porch Sociology



My childhood was relatively carefree and  full of life. During the summer I'd wander around the neighborhood, saying hello to everyone, freely asking them about their day, and studying the world around me.  It wasn't uncommon for me to find a tree and climb it, where I'd sit for long periods of time and study people, or mosey over to a lilac bush, fingering each flower while inhaling its glorious scent.  To this day when I walk past a lilac bush I still get waves of great joy, as the smell brings me back to my days on Bock Street.  The same is true when I wander past wild grapes growing up a vine.  As a child in Upstate NY, all of my senses were continually delighted.  Between the beautiful Fall foliage, Fingerlakes grape growing region, Lilac festivals, and Italian sauce on Sundays, one could never grow bored with life. I remember our neighbors, The Caternolo and Surace families -- both Italian -- would make their special "sauce" on Sunday and invite half the neighborhood over for rigatoni, spaghetti, or the pasta of the week.  There was a real sense of community and my Dad's theory is that community was alive and well on Bock Street because of  all of the front porches. "When they got rid of the front porches they got rid of daily gatherings." I would have to agree with him on that one. Everywhere we've lived, where there weren't front porches . . . well, mingling among neighbors became less common. 


I remember dealing with my first bee sting, at 10 years old, while on that front porch on Bock St., and sitting out with my family as the thunderclouds rolled in and the rain fell, with its sweet scent of fresh grass mingled with wafts of black top gravel.  You could relax on that front porch and analyze the world from a whole new perspective.  People freely came and went, and there were always a few extra plates available at the dinner table just in case someone popped over.  Sometimes my parents Bible study group would spend hours sitting together, crying, laughing and singing right there on the front porch; Mom would get her guitar out and unity would commence.  The neighbors didn't mind, and many ended up coming over to join in and feel the peace and sense of "family."  Across the street were the Kobryns' -- a Greek Family-- and beside us were several Italian families.  We were the Irish family, and then there were others from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds, all welcome on that front porch.  It was where love abounded, food was plentiful and there were no divisions between people.  I think the next house we buy needs to have a front porch.  There really is something to the whole front porch sociology, which needs to come back to American culture again.  Care for a glass of iced tea or cup of coffee anyone?  Let's sit, rock, and tell one another about our day/month/life . . . breathe, bask in the peace and watch the world go by.  Just you and me . . . and a front porch (good sigh). :-)

4 comments:

  1. Love this post! For a minute I thought that was your front porch and I was jealous! We don't have one either. YOU are an amazing writer! You write how I wish I did--very descriptive and flowingly beautiful (does that make sense?:)

    Have you ever heard of Cindy Rushton? http://cindyrushton.com/
    I've been listening to her podcasts when I work and she totally reminds me of you. I think you'd love her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa thank you for stopping by and for your very gracious words about my writing. I DO know about Cindy Rushton, as I remember coming across a bit of her writing while I was homeschooling Kait, so I am honored to be thought of with her name. Hey . . . does this mean you will be homeschooling the little guy?? If so, that is awesome!! We homeschooled for 7 years and now Kait is in public school and the transition was seamless. Great foundation and time of bonding :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I will be homeschooling Joey. I have no idea what I'm doing, so I hope it goes well:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no doubt in my mind you will be an awesome homeschool Mommy, as you are already teaching and mentoring Joey in beautiful ways. I can't tell you the joy I get from reading your posts about life with Joey. So real, so fun, and so precious! God will bring the right people at the right time to give you the right resources and info you need. We saw it happen for us time and time again, even when I felt hopeless and vulnerable, God would show up and provide. You are gonna do absolutely FANTASTIC Miss Lisa!! Whoohoooo :-)))

    ReplyDelete